- Senior Research Associate
- Senior Software Engineer
Dawen Xie is a senior research associate at Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech. He received his undergraduate degree in Computer Science from Nankai University, P.R. China, and his master degree in Computer Engineering at Texas A&M University. He was an information technology specialist at Virginia Tech.
His interests are Geographic Information System (GIS), visual analytics, information management system, and databases with current focus on building different dynamic web systems.
He won the first place in the NIEHS Climate Change and Environmental Exposures Challenge, in the national use category, for PIE Viz (with Julia Gohlke and Samarth Swarup) in Feb. 2016. PIE Viz is now included in the U.S. Climate Resilience Toolkit.
Details about his publications can be viewed on Google Scholar.
- Marathe A, Chen J, Chu S, Chungbaek Y, Khan M, Kuhlman CJ, Mortveit HS, Kumar VSA, Xie D. Effect of Modeling Slum Populations on Influenza Spread Delhi. BMJ Open. 2016;6(9):e011699. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011699.
- Barrett CL, Bisset KR, Chandan S, Chen J, Chungbaek Y, Eubank SG, Evrenosoglu Y, Lewis BL, Lum K, Marathe A, Marathe MV, Mortveit HS, Parikh NK, Phadke A, Reed J, Rivers CM, Saha S, Stretz PE, Swarup S, Thorpe J, Kumar VSA, Xie D. Planning and Response in the Aftermath of a Large Crisis: An Agent-based Informatics Framework. In: Proceedings of the 2013 Winter Simulation Conference: Simulation: Making Decisions in a Complex World. 2013:1515–1526. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2676173.
- Bisset KR, Bassaganya-Riera J, Carbo A, Eubank SG, Hontecillas-Magarzo R, Hoops S, Marathe MV, Mei Y, Wendelsdorf KV, Xie D, Yeom J-S, Alam MM. High-Performance Interaction-Based Simulation of Gut Immunopathologies with ENISI. In: Computing & Processing (Hardware/Software). Conference Publications; 2012:48–59. https://doi.org/10.1109/IPDPS.2012.15.
- Texas A&M University, Computer Engineering, MS, 2007
- Nankai University, China, Computer Science, BS, 1999