- Research Associate Professor
Jiangzhuo Chen is a Research Scientist in the Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Laboratory of Biocomplexity Institute of Virginia Tech. He received his B.A. in Economics from Nanjing University, M.A. in Economics from Boston College, and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Northeastern University. His Ph.D. dissertation is Confluent Flows. He was a post-doctoral researcher and a senior research associate in the Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Laboratory.
His research interests include: big data analytics; model based forecast; modeling, simulation, and analysis of large scale social networks; computational epidemiology; computational economics; and approximation algorithms for network optimization problems. His work has been published in journals and peer-reviewed conferences, such as Journal of the ACM, ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation, PLoS ONE, Computational Economics, JEBO, STOC, ICS.
His current projects include: high-performance simulation of social network dynamics (software developed: EpiFast, Indemics); modeling of synthetic population and social network (GlobalPop); and forecasting of epidemics (Social Eyes/FluCaster).
- Tabataba FS, Hosseinipour M, Lewis BL, Tabataba FS, Venkatramanan S, Higdon D, Chen J, Marathe MV. Epidemic Forecasting by Combining Agent-Based Models and Smart Beam-Particle Filtering Framework. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Data Mining 2017. 2017.
- Chen J, Lewis BL, Marathe A, Marathe MV, Swarup S, Kumar VSA. Individual and Collective Behavior in Public Health Epidemiology. In: HS 36 Disease Modelling and Public Health. 1st ed. Elsevier; 2017.
- Tabataba FS, Chakraborty P, Ramakrishnan N, Venkatramanan S, Chen J, Lewis BL, Marathe MV. A framework for evaluating epidemic forecasts. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12879-017-2365-1.
- Venkatramanan S, Chen J, Gupta S, Lewis BL, Marathe MV, Mortveit HS, Kumar VSA. Spatio-temporal optimization of seasonal vaccination using a metapopulation model of influenza. In: IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI). IEEE; 2017.
- Venkatramanan S, Lewis BL, Chen J, Higdon D, Kumar VSA, Marathe MV. Using data-driven agent-based models for forecasting emerging infectious diseases. Epidemics - Special Issue on Ebola Challenge. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epidem.2017.02.010.
- Wang L, Cho J-H, Chen I-R, Chen J. PDGM: Percolation-based Directed Graph Matching in Social Networks. In: Proceedings of The IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC). 2017.
- Bhuiyan MH, Khan M, Chen J, Marathe MV. Parallel algorithms for switching edges in heterogeneous graphs. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. 2017;104:19-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpdc.2016.12.005.
- Chu S, Swarup S, Chen J, Marathe A. A Comparison of Targeted Layered Containment Strategies for a Flu Pandemic in Three US Cities. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS). 2017.
- Northeastern University, Computer Science, Ph.D., 2005
- Boston College, Economics, M.A., 1998
- Nanjing University, Economics, B.A, 1995