- Research Associate Professor
My research has focused on understanding the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases within specific populations through both analysis and simulation. I am a computational epidemiologist with over 10 years of experience in crafting, analyzing, and interpreting the results of models in the context of real public health problems.
While pursuing my PhD as a computational epidemiologist, I acted as a liaison between the computer scientists and mathematicians building simulation software and decision makers who wanted answers to pressing public policy questions. Throughout the past 7 years I have been heavily involved in a series of projects modeling potential response to an influenza pandemic that supported planning and response activities at the federal-level.
- Venkatramanan S, Lewis BL, Chen J, Higdon D, Kumar VSA, Marathe MV. Using data-driven agent-based models for forecasting emerging infectious diseases. Epidemics - Special Issue on Ebola Challenge. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epidem.2017.02.010.
- Rivers CM, Lewis BL. Ethical research standards in a world of big data. F1000Research. 2014;3(38). https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.3-38.v2.
- Jimenez JM, Lewis BL, Eubank SG. Hospitals as Complex Social Systems: Agent-Based Simulations of Hospital-Acquired Infections. Complex Systems: Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering. Springer International Publishing; 2013:165-178. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03473-7_15.
- Lewis BL, Swarup S, Bisset KR, Eubank SG, Marathe MV, Barrett CL. A Simulation Environment for the Dynamic Evaluation of Disaster Preparedness Policies and Interventions. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 2013;19(Suppl 5):S42-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e31829398eb.
- Virginia Tech, Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology, PhD, 2011
- University of California - Berkeley, Infectious Diseases, MPH, 2001
- Carnegie Mellon University, Computational Biology, BS, 1997
- California Department of Health Services, Tuberculosis Control Branch, Surveillance and Epidemiology Section, 2001-2003